Super Sonic   +  random

Writing, blogging, it's all the same to me

Why hello there,

Are we writers, or are we bloggers?

That seems to be the question so many people are asking. Why? I do not know. But I will throw myself on this particular bandwagon as it thunders past.

Me? I'm going to err firmly on the side of caution and say, I'm a blogger. There is some flash fiction here on my blog, and some unbelievably crap-tastic poetry, but that's about it. If I were a writer, this would probably be a totally different kind of blog. One without jellybeans, typos and many, many pictures unashamadley pinched off Google Images. Maybe.

As far as I'm concerned, the proof is in the pudding- I blog, therefore I am. It would feel somewhat remiss to call myself a writer. Because, truth be told, I just ain't that good at it. I read blogs like Kristin's and Megan's and Veronica's and say wow- they can call themselves writers. I'm just kind of blogging along here, throwing words and images and links together in the sweet salty soup that is the RRSAHM.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love to write. And it had been a long, thirsty and unnecessary time in between writing spells for me. I wrote as a child, little stories for my mum to read. I wrote as a teenager, an outlet for my angst. I wrote in my early twenties, for lack of anything better to do.

And then... I got a real job (kind of). And then... I had kids. And the pile of notebooks on the bottom shelf of my bookcase stopped growing. I forget what it felt like to create something lyrical from the raw materiel of words. I forgot the satisfaction of feeling the indentations of pen strokes over dozens of pages, paragraph after paragraph, line after line.

Blogging has recaptured that. I have immersed myself in the feeling of writing again. It's almost as warm and comfy as slipping into a pair of flannelet pajamas fresh from the tumble dryer. But, ya know, without the clingy static zapping your leg hairs.

So am I a writer? Maybe, maybe not. perhaps, if I was, it would not have been so easy to stop, to just forget all about it, all those years ago.

Am I a blogger? For sure. I'm new at this and I'm stumbling my way through HTML, RSS, blog etiquette and what the hell's a trackback? But I'm enjoying every step of the way. And I'm really, really glad that you lot are along for the ride.

Stick around. You never know, we may just rediscover the writer in me yet.