Super Sonic   +  trip

Small Miracles

From what I understand, Catholics believe suicide is a mortal sin... it sends you straight to Hell, and there is no redemption.

Is that true? Do the Last Rites even cancel that out?

If so, that's another strike against Catholicism. Sucking hard.

***

Years ago, a mother in Paradise was driving home with her children when she was hit by an oncoming car that strayed into her lane. She died. In a small town, that kind of pain is as insurmountable as everywhere else.

I drive past the same spot often. It's four lanes now, instead of two.

I see a lump in my lane in the distance. It's moving. As I speed toward it, I realise it's rat, brown and not as large as a bush rat normally would be.

This rat has run across three lanes of traffic. I hold my breath as I drive over it... it freezes, and stays between the frame of my wheels, unharmed. Still frozen with fear.... the car behind misses the rat too.

I watch in my rearview as it scampers across the remainder of the road ,into the safety of the bushland.

How does that happen? A mother dies, a family suffers... and yet a rat makes it across four lanes of traffic unharmed.

I'm not sure if that points towards the existence of God, or the futility of Him, or if it's just another random consequence of timing and eventuality.

***

A friend posted this amazing story, in way of a film clip,on her FaceBook recently.

For those of you who can't be bothered watching, it's the story of a family who, tragically, lost all three of their children a car accident in 2007.

In early 2011, they gave birth.. to triplets.

Another random event, or an apology from a higher power?

Small miracles, indeed.