Super Sonic   +  karma baby

Sustainability

I find myself focusing more and more sustainability, saving money, reducing waste.

I'm not one hundred percent sure why. It's always been something I've been a little bit into.

And it's so much easier to do, here in Paradise, than it was in the 'burbs.

Life is cheaper here, and requires more planning. There is no dropping into Woolies- and spending $30- every second day. You do one big shop every two weeks, and top up on fruit, bread and milk as needed.

Simple.

Money is tight, and as we wait for house and super pay outs, getting tighter. The habits that I started back in the 'burbs have grown and solidified themselves as I find myself with less cashflow and far more time.

Cloth nappies and a moon cup save us hundreds each month, and reduce the landfill we leave for the big, noisy garbage truck to crush and then dump in a massive tip, secluded by bushland, that has been in the same spot since I was a kid- we used to visit there regularly when I was tiny, as there was no council rubbish collection.

Snacks and biscuits are cooked from scratch, when I just can't justify $5 for a packet mix cake. I use a reusabale wash ball, rather than powder that eats funds and dries our skin. Our scraps go into our thriving worm farm, to feed the giant, fat, squelchy worms that are living and breeding in the dark; or to supplement our new compost heap, that will eventually be used to mulch our garden.

Dinner leftovers are frozen or fed to the dog. Water run off is collected in buckets to use on Tony's bonsai, which I treat with hesitant care- I'm terrified of killing them with kindness.

Life in Paradise just moves so slowly compared to that in the suburbs. The fifty kilometre speed limit actually means just that, no one rockets along at seventy clicks. Shops are closed on Sundays and Mondays, and sometimes Tuesday, Wednesday as well in the winter.

Op shops here are abundant, and most people frequent them. Garage sales run every weekend and most of the items are not only old and have great character, but are quality as well- I think it's something to do with the older age of a lot of the residents here, and the difficulty in transporting larger goods, when the nearest furniture shop is a forty minute drive away. It's easier to re-buy and re-use something locally, rather than make a long trek for cheap products.

It's an acceptable culture of hand me downs and using something until it can longer be used that seemed harder to come by in the city, when everyone is so busy and convenience is the utmost priority.

With sustainability and wholesome living all around me, it feels as my soul is absorbing it by osmosis, like the plants in my garden suckling sun through their leaves, photosynthesizing it into pure energy. I draw from the peace of the people around me, and I find ways to fill my time with things that are practical, useful and worthwhile.

To quote Micheal, an awesome commenter of mine from few weeks back- it's practicing being a human being, not a human doing.

An entirely satisfying way to live.