Super Sonic + StationHouse

Off The Grid

I’ve been off the grid for three days now. It feels like longer.

I have no mobile reception, except when I stand under the carport in front yard. I’ve made the decision to go against my grain and am now, for the first time in ten years, the proud owner of a land line home phone number.

It’s kind of like anti-progress. Or something.

The fore-mentioned home phone line is currently running 48 hours in being connected. They tell me my Internet is 3-4 business days behind that, but I’m not holding my breath. You may remember when I moved last time and spent 4 long, lonely, net-less weeks waiting for my wifi.

I’ve become one of those people who go to Macca’s, buy a Coke and then sit and use their turtle-speed free wifi connection. Alternatively- I’m not sure which is worse- I’ll become one of those people who bombard my tech-savvy friends houses and force them to mind my kids for an hour while I get my web fix.

In all honesty, it’s not bothering me as much as imagined. No text, no phone calls, no Twitter, no FaceBook, no email. The only thing I’m desperately missing is my blog, which is why I’m punching out this post in Word.

Apart from my blog, the silence is not as deafening as I perceived. It’s been a refreshing reset, a little bit of space with no nagging emails to answer, to blog posts to write, to text messages to respond to. Kind of like a mental holiday.

I got so into the off-the-gird concept yesterday that we actually went timeless for 24 hours. I’ve been having the unique problem with my iPhone where every time I sync it, it resets the time forward by 15 hours. After synced it on Tuesday, I forgot to check and reset the time. And decided I wasn’t going to let it bother me.

My phone is the only clock I have. And that was OK. I could have, if I needed to, booted up the computer and reset the time. But I decided that we were on no schedule, and I really didn’t need to.
So we spent Thursday night and Wednesday with no idea of what the time was, except when PlaySchool came on at 4:30pm. I ended up resetting my clock late tonight- Wednesday- when I finally finished unpacking and turned on the computer.

Yep, I said ‘finished unpacking’. I know. Three days into our new house in the Tiny Train Town, and we are settled in, a place for everything and everything in its place, right down to those family portraits and happy snaps that are back up on the walls.

Pictures of our lovely, tiny, crooked new house to follow. Very soon, hopefully. Just as soon as my Internet connection is up.

bitchin, blogging, book, happy, my head is an awesome place to live, nerd stuff, and more:

Off The Grid + StationHouse