Super Sonic   +  tactless idiots

1 +1 = 2

I generally try not to pay too much attention to the world around me. The news is depressing and I have enough crap going on to deal with.

Nor do I generally bring the issues of the big wide world onto my blog, unless they directly concern me. And, aside from the direct implications of general stuff on mental health, not much does. Sad, but true.

But this time, it's different. I would say 'this time, it's personal', which would be much more dramatic, but patently untrue. It's not personal, really. It has nothing to do with me.

But my God, it makes me angry. And if I have a voice here, then let me use it.

For those of you who are not in Australia, there has been a fair bit of kerfuffle here lately concerning gay marriage. It's illegal in this country. On Saturday there was a big, beautiful rally in Sydney where over 5 000 people- gay and straight, every nationality and walk of life- protested the basic right for everyone, regardless of their sexual preference, to be able to show their love to world, legally.

Image from here. Legend.

How stupid. How distasteful and disappointing and dumb. The fact that over 5 000 people have to protest to get any kind of result here makes me sick. What is wrong with our government? Why is this even a debate at all??

Love is love. Why isn't that the end of the story?

1 + 1=2, every time. Two consenting adults, expected to pay taxes, be functioning members of society, be responsible and obey the law... and yet we tell people, as if they're children, that they can't have a piece of paper and a ceremony that joins them in the eyes of the society they have to follow the rules of??

What kind of logic is that?

I'm not even going anywhere near the religious aspects of this one. Because it's irrelevant... the Big Man and I are at a standoff, anyway. Many people- myself included- get married with no mention of the G-word.

The most infuriating, frustrating, distressing part of this whole thing is that those 5 000 people came out in a direct response to a smaller rally protesting against gay marriage. That's sad.

There are people out there who will, quite literally, take time out of their day to protest against love. To stand and yell and make signs to outlaw people legally loving each other.

How stupid. How sad. What a fucking travesty, that some people have nothing better to do, then protest against the very thing that makes the world turn.